Today it snowed for the first time this fall in Colorado. It was cold and wet and I was hungry. Nothing sounds better than Beef Stew on this type of day. Here’s the recipe.
- 1 hour
- 30 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 1lb beef for stew or any non fatty beef chopped into chunks
- vegetable or olive oil
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 white or yellow Onion
- 1 large or 2 small carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 or 5 red potatoes diced
- 1 pkg of mushrooms
- 1 can green beans
- 1 can diced Italian style tomatoes
- 3 cans beef broth
- 1 tbs rosemary
- Salt & pepper Optional:
- bell peppers
- red wine
Follow This Recipe
- Pour 2 tbs of oil into a large stock pot.
- Cube beef and toss in flour
- Put into pot to brown over medium heat.
- When beef is browned, drain excess fat and remove from pot and set aside.
- Add 1-2 tbs of oil back into the pot.
- Add onions carrots and garlic, and stir over medium-high heat until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add in potatoes and mushrooms and return the beef to the stock pot. Stir over same heat for 5 minutes.
- Add green beans, tomatoes and first two cans of beef broth plus one can of water. Add rosemary and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover Bring stew up to boiling for 10 minutes. You will lose a lot of liquid in the steam.
- Turn the heat down to medium or until you have a rapid simmer. Add last can of broth and 1/2 can of water. Simmer for 1 hour or until beef proteins have been broken down and beef is soft. ProTip For me, Beef Stew is all about knowing how things cook. The beef needs to simmer for a long time to be soft and not chewy. The lower the quality of beef, the longer it will need to cook. Softer foods should be added later on in the process so as not to get too soggy. Potatoes can be added later in the simmering process to leave them a little crunchy. Try different things and taste a lot as you go. Also, if you’re like my husband and I and you can’t stand rosemary floating in your soup, use a coffee filter and some cooking twine and make a baggie. Take the baggie out of the stew before serving ;)
More delicious recipes
This is one of the many fantastic recipes available on this blog