Shrimp and Grits
A long time ago when I was working long days and had a toddler and an infant at home, cooking elaborite fancy dinners got hard. I was privilaged enough to be able to enlist Blue Apron for help. Some of their recipes were simple, this one was a stand out. Looks fancy, so yummy.
- 15 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 1 Pound Shrimp
- 1¼ Cups Yellow Grits
- 3 Ounces Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 6 Ounces Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 2 Scallions whites and greens seperated
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 can of corn or 2 corn cobs
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Zucchini
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- ¼ Cup Crème Fraîche or greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon of a mix of cajun Seasoning & Smoked Paprika
Follow This Recipe
- In a medium pot, combine 5 cups of water and a big pinch of salt; heat to boiling on high. Grate the cheese. Remove and discard the husks and silks of the corn.
- Open corn and drain or cut the corn kernels off the cobs; discard the cobs. Trim off and discard the ends of the zucchini; medium dice the zucchini. Mince the garlic. Cut off and discard the root ends of the scallions. Thinly slice the white bottoms of the scallions; cut the green tops into 1/4-inch pieces. Halve the cherry tomatoes. Quarter and deseed the lemon.
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp and spice blend: toss to coat and set aside to marinate.
- When the water boils, stir the grits into the pot; reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, 10 to 12 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed and the grits are tender. (If the grits seem dry, gradually add up to ¼ cup of water to achieve your desired consistency.)
- While the grits cook, in a large pan (nonstick, if yuL. have one), heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the corn and zucchini; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove grits from heat. Whisk in the cheese, crème fraîche or yogurt and half the butter until thoroughly combined; season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside in a warm place.
- Add the garlic, white bottoms of the scallions to the pan of corn and zucchini; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally.
- Add the marinated shrimp to the pan of vegetables; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 to 4 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque and cooked through. Stir in the remaining butter and the juice of all 4 lemon wedges and the tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes, or until thoroughly combined.
- Put the cheddar grits in a bowl. Top with the cooked vegetables and shrimp. Garnish with the green tops of the scallion. ProTips
- My kids will NOT eat shrimp so this is also good with chicken, just cube and pan fry some breasts with salt and pepper. Toss into the pan on step 8.
- I like my tomatoes not too soft. If you like yours softer, add them in with the garlic and scallions.
- Drying the shrimp is key. any additional liquid and the veggie/shrimp mixture gets soggy.
More delicious recipes
This is one of the many fantastic recipes available on this blog